Organization level web parts can also be added to the course! To do so you need to:
1. Go to course Site Actions > Site Settings > Manage site features, and click Activate by the SharePointLMS Web Part Feature;
2. Go to the course page and add the needed web part.
All Organization Web Parts can be divided into three nominal groups:
- Default – shown on the Organization Home Page by default.
- Standard SharePoint Web Parts – Web Parts collecting information from SharePointLMS lists and libraries.
- Custom Web Parts – special Web Parts designed by SharePointLMS developers.
Fig. Default Web Parts on the Organization Home Page
Default Web Parts are the following:
Organizations – the section lists the SPLMS organizations
Courses – the section lists all courses a user is enrolled in or administers
The Courses Web Part also has the Show learner base option in the Miscellaneous section (Web Part menu > Modify Shared Web Part). This option displays the number of learners in the course.
Fig. The Show Learner Base Option Is Enabled
Depending on the user’s role in the course, the following option behavior takes place:
Learner: not displayed.
Assistant: not displayed.
If you are logged in as System Account you will see all courses under the Courses you are managing category. The number of learners will be displayed for all courses.
If you are logged in as Visitor with read permissions on the organization level and take part in any course of this organization with the option enabled the Access Denied error message will occur. We highly recommend to enable this option on a separate page for administrator’s use only.
· Announcements - the section lists all available announcements from the organization courses
· Assignments – the section lists available assignments from all courses. The Assignment - Due – Status - Course columns are displayed for the learners, the Assignment – Assigned to - Due – Status - Course columns are displayed for the course teachers, assistants and faculties. There are several groups of assignments:
- Active – displays active assignments (Start date reached, End date not overdue).
- Ready to Grade – displays assignments completed by Students. The list of assignments consists of returned and not approved tasks. Available for Teachers and Teacher assistants only.
- Overdue – displays a list of assignments where End date has passed. The list of assignments contains not returned and not approved tasks.
- Due Today – displays a list of assignments which have the current day as the End date. The list of assignments consists of not returned and not approved tasks.
- Due This Week – displays a list of assignments which have the current day as the End date and all assignments up to the upcoming Saturday. The list of assignments consists of not returned and not approved tasks.
- Due Next Week – displays a list of assignments which have the current day as the End date, assignments up to the upcoming Saturday and all assignments for the 7 days following Saturday. The list of assignments consists of not returned and not approved tasks.
- All Assignments – displays all available assignments. The list of assignments consists of not returned and not approved tasks.
To view assignments of a particular group, click the name of the group.
To view a detailed list of assignments, click the plus symbol next to the necessary assignment name.
· Drop Box – the standard SharePoint web part that displays items added to the Drop Box tool in each available course in particular organization. The items in this web part are displayed depending on the selected display mode. To change it, go to Edit Web Part and, in the Miscellaneous section, select the needed mode (All/Current course/Current organization/Current organization with children). Each mode displays the Drop Box items that were assigned to you, nobody or to a group and to which you have Read permissions (but you are not the author of these items).
· Calendar – the section lists all posted events from all courses available in the organization.
Custom Web Parts on the Organization Level collect the data from the courses of this organization and include the following ones:
· Composite Calendar by default, the section displays Conference, Announcements, Assignments and Calendar events from all available courses of the organization
To modify the display settings, select Modify Shared Web Part, expand the Take Items from field and leave the boxes checked only for tools which you want items to be taken from.
- If announcements do not have an end date, they are shown as everyday recurrent events
- Conference and Calendar items are displayed in their standard view
- Assignments are displayed as follows: if current user is a Teacher, all assignments are shown; if current user is a Learner, only non-completed Learner’s assignments are displayed
· Grades – the section allows viewing learners’ grades
- To see grades, click the plus symbol next to the name of the necessary course, find a learner and click the plus symbol next to the learner’s name. The Grade Entity (Grade Book column) and Grade value columns will appear. For grades to display by default, enter the Edit mode and select Expand All Nodes from the Miscellaneous editor tab. For more information about the Edit mode, see the Editing a Web Part paragraph.
- If you click the arrow next to a course name, the Go to course and Go to Grade Book options will appear
· Join Group – allows SharePointLMS users to join groups
· Last Report – contains last generated report from the organization courses
· My Groups – the section displays learners’ group sites classified by courses. Current user sees group sites of the courses where he/she is a Teacher or a Learner
· Reports – contains last generated reports
· SPLMS Site Users – shows site users from AD group
You can find information about Web Parts managing in the Managing Web Parts section
The following Web Parts have cache timeout:
- Announcements (15 minutes)
- Calendar (15 minutes)
- DropBox (15 minutes)
- Assignments (tasks) (15 minutes)
- Composite calendar (15 minutes - disable cache option exists)
- My courses (5 min cache)
- My organizations(5 min cache).
The changes in these modules are displayed after the cache time is out.